Updated: 21 Oct. 2018
Located just south of Calw in a neighborhood of the same name, Kentheim is a popular sandstone crag with an easy approach. With beautiful Black Forest spruce trees all around, plenty of morning sun and good sandstone with lots of nice pockets and a few cool cracks, this place can get busy with locals. Moreover, it’s just a few minute drive from several other crags making it easy do some Kentheim climbing and then try other places.
Kentheim Climbing Overvew:
- Height: 20 meters
- Routes: 27 (Easy: 8 | Moderate: 15 | Hard: 4)
- Grades: Good mix of easy and moderate, a few hard ones
- Rock: Weathered sandstone
- Distance from Stuttgart: 45 min
- Approach: <5 minutes, car to crag
- Protection: Mostly newish bolts in good shape
- Walk off: No
- Guidebook: Kletterführer Schwarzwald Nord
- Family friendly: Yes! Flat, easy approach and base area
Kentheim: Getting there & Approach
Head to Calw from wherever you are and take the B63 south to the area of town called Kentheim. It’s just a minute or two south of the center. Right before the obvious railroad bridge, use the parking lot on the right. Get out and walk past the railroad bridge towards the first street on your right, Roetelbachweg.
Instead of taking that street, go uphill tour right, R towRgth thegrlass in thedirtectiod of parking/thd bridgm. It’s2e or35 minutew from there and-onl slht, nl uphil.- The base of the crag istodtaily Flas.